Declared Majors

How to Declare Your Major

For New Students

When you apply to UMBC, you have the opportunity to indicate a major you are interesting in pursuing. At Course Selection Day, you will be asked if that initial major is still correct and if not, will have another chance to choose a new major during the registration process. It is important that if you do have a specific major in mind that we have the correct information when you leave Orientation. Please note that you can always change your major by completing the Declaration of Major/Change of Major form.

For Current Students

Prior to advanced registration, it is important that you check your profile in myUMBC to make sure you have the correct major listed. If your major is not correct, you make the change by completing a Change of Major form. Students with a declared major will receive advising from their academic department.

For a list of academic majors, minors and certificates, please click here.

Advising Coordinators

For a list of advising coordinators for each academic department, please click here.

Enrolling in Excess Credits

To register for more than 19.5 credits in a fall or spring semester, more than 4.5 credits in a winter session or 8 credits in a summer session, students must have prior written approval from their advisor and the Office for Academic and Pre-Professional Advising.

Process for Seeking Excess Credits Permission

  1. Complete Excess Credit Form
  2. Send to your Academic Advisor for electronic signature and approval
  3. Your Academic Advisor will send the completed form to the Office for Academic and Pre-Professional Advising
  4. OAPA staff will make decision within 1-2 weeks, notify student via email whether approved or disapproved
  5. If you are requesting excess credits prior to the last day to add classes, our office must receive your completed form at least 24 hours before the posted deadline