The deadline to submit a Fall 2023 academic suspension appeal has now passed.
Three consecutive semesters during which the cumulative GPA was below 2.0 will result in Academic Suspension unless the student has achieved a 2.0 or higher semester GPA for the most recent semester. If the student’s most recent performance showed improvement (was at the 2.0 or higher level for the term), the student may remain at UMBC on Academic Probation.
NOTE: Semesters in which students completed a semester withdrawal as well as Summer and Winter semesters are not factored into consideration for the three consecutive semesters.
Things to consider before submitting a suspension appeal:
Has there been a change in any personal or medical circumstances that may have negatively impacted your academic performance?
Have you explored alternate academic plans for the upcoming semester?
Academic Suspension Appeal Checklist
Prepare a Written Statement to include information not limited to the following:
- Context on what attributed to your academic performance leading up to the academic suspension
- Discussion of how those circumstances will change for the upcoming semester
- A detailed plan for academic success for the upcoming semester
Optional: If extenuating circumstances attributed to your academic performance, you may submit supporting documentation that can include but is not limited to the following:
- Obituary or death certificate – If an immediate family member passed away
- Medical documentation on official letterhead from a physician indicating they oversee your care and your readiness to return for the upcoming academic semester
- Military deployment
Please note: The contents of your appeal are confidential. As university officials, we prioritize the safety and well-being of our students. As a result, we are obligated to report information to appropriate university personnel if a student’s well-being is at risk.