Pathway to Pharmacy
Students interested in pursuing a career in Pharmacy begin their studies at UMBC by following our Pre-Pharmacy curriculum, which consists of at least three years worth of pre-requisites (~89 credits), followed by four years in a pharmacy school at another institution. Given the number of credits required of preparatory coursework, an increasing number of students are planning to complete a bachelor’s degree at UMBC prior to continuing their professional studies in Pharmacy. This option entitles students to assemble a more competitive overall portfolio for admission.
Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Pathway
- Complete the necessary pre-requisites for all schools in which you are applying (~3 years) OR complete BS/BA degree at UMBC in addition to completing necessary pre-requisites (~4 years)
- Apply to accredited PharmD programs
- Complete PharmD degree (4 years) & required internship program while in Pharmacy School
- Pass the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX®) Examination
- Begin practicing as a licensed Pharmacist
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Pharmacists is expected to remain stable between 2018 to 2028. The median annual wages of Pharmacists were $126,120 in May 2018. (Reference:Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Pharmacists, on the Internet here (visited Feb 20, 2020).