Pathway to Physical Therapy
Students interested in pursuing a career in Physical Therapy begin their studies at UMBC by following our Pre-Physical Therapy curriculum, in addition to following an academic major at UMBC. All students interested in Physical Therapy should plan to graduate first from UMBC. Upon successful completion of a degree, in addition to the pre-requisites for Physical Therapy school, students will complete four years in a physical therapy school at another institution.
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Pathway
- Complete BS/BA degree at UMBC in addition to completing necessary pre-requisites (~4 years)
- Apply to accredited DPT program
- Complete DPT degree (4 years)
- Pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) as well as any state exams required
- Begin practicing as a licensed Physical Therapist
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Physical Therapists is expected to grow by 22 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations. The median annual wages of Physical Therapists were $87,930 in May 2018.
(Reference: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Physical Therapists, on the Internet here (visited Feb 20, 2020).