Office for Academic and Pre-Professional Advising Business Continuity Plan

We have established an academic continuity plan to ensure that our services will continue to be available to students, faculty, and staff through remote formats as part of UMBC’s COVID-19 response.

Best Ways to Contact Our Office
Students can contact OAPA by email: or RT ticket with general questions or concerns.  You can also visit our Virtual Front Counter to speak directly with a Peer Advisor for general questions and assistance.  The Virtual Front Counter link will take you directly into our WebEx office space where a Peer is waiting to assist.
For individual advising appointments, students can schedule using our online staff appointment calendars here. At this time, all scheduled appointments will be conducted using WebEx, for which you will receive instructions for when you schedule an appointment.

Advising Services for Exploratory and Allied Health Students

Advising appointments for Exploratory and Allied Health students will continue to be held by our staff of advising professionals who are all working remotely.

Campus-Wide Departmental Advising Contacts

School of Social Work

College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS)  

College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT)

College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences (CNMS)

The Erickson School of Aging Studies 

Excess Credit 

Students requesting Excess Credit need to follow the standard guidelines and protocols.  Completed Excess Credit forms should be submitted to the OAPA office via our email address:

Reinstatement Assistance 

Reinstatement guidance and recommendations can be found here.  Students seeking reinstatement into a specific department should discuss their academic plan with a departmental representative before completing a reinstatement application.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Assistance

OAPA staff can provide SAP Appeal guidance for exploratory students or students in transition between majors.

Other Issues 

Students needing help with academic difficulties, seeking clarifications on General Education (GEP) requirements, or inquiring about academic standing categories can consult with OAPA staff.